This report provides employment and earnings information on high school graduates and dropouts from selected school districts. Data are displayed for individuals who were reported with wages by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) and were between the ages of 25 to 30, based on the highest level of education attained. Median fourth quarter wages and the number employed are shown by earnings year. In addition, top employment industry sectors are provided for these individuals using North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) categories. Data in this report are reported at the school district level.
Data in this report come from the Texas Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS), the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), the Texas P-16 Public Education Information Resource (TPEIR) and the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). College enrollment data represent only Texas public colleges and universities, and do not include out-of-state or Texas private institutions of higher education.
For more information about THECB data, visit their website at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/.
Employment and quarterly earnings data are from the TWC and include only Texas employment data as reported to the TWC. Employment industry sectors are classified using the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). For more information about the TWC data, visit their website at http://www.twc.state.tx.us/.
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. NAICS industries are identified by a 6-digit code. In this report, the 6-digit code is rolled up to the standardized 2-digit code representing 21 broad industry sectors, including an ‘Unknown’ category. In this report, only the top ten of these sectors based on the number employed, are shown. If the district is small, fewer than ten sectors may display.
For in-depth information on the NAICS codes, see the United States Census Bureau, North American Industry Classification System website at https://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/.
Educational attainment refers to the highest level of education attained in Texas public schools or colleges. Educational attainment is based on the highest level of education in the Texas public school system. High school diplomas or any college degrees earned from private or out-of-state schools are not included in the report. For this report, education levels are grouped into the following six categories:
- Advanced Degree - consists of individuals who received an advanced degree, i.e., Master’s or PhD from a Texas public college.
- Bachelor Degree - consists of individuals who received a Bachelor’s or Baccalaureate-level Certificate degree (from a Texas public 4-year college) but did not receive an advanced degree from a Texas public college.
- Associate Degree - consists of individuals who received an Associate’s degree from a Texas public college but did not receive a Bachelor’s or advanced degree from a Texas public college.
- Some College - consists of individuals who attended either a Texas public four-year or two-year college but did not receive a degree from a Texas public college.
- High School Graduate - consists of individuals who graduated from a Texas public high school and did not attend or graduate from a Texas public college.
- Less Than High School Diploma - consists of individuals who did not graduate from a Texas public high school and did not attend or graduate from a Texas public college or university.
Earnings year is the calendar year beginning January 1 and ending December 31.
The number employed includes individuals who have fourth quarter wages in the earnings year as reported by TWC, are between 25 and 30 years of age during the earnings year, and who graduated from high school or dropped out of school (during grades 7 – 12) as reported by a Texas public school district.
Median 4th Quarter Wages:
Median wages paid during the fourth quarter of the earnings year as reported to TWC.